This open call is being presented by Orangenius and Artrepreneur. Please read these rules carefully before submitting work (“Submission”) to the Open Call. These guidelines will assist you in completing the Artists to Watch Submission Form. You will be asked to agree to the Terms and Conditions before you submit an entry.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICANT STATUS
- Applicants must be enrolled or have graduated within the last year from a studio or visual arts certificate, undergraduate or master’s program located within the five boroughs.
- Open to student artists of any media.
- Only an individual artist can enter.
- All Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Orangenius will award up to three students per institution.
- No entry fee
- Entries cannot be submitted by Orangenius, affiliated entities, agents, officers, directors, owners, employees, or their immediate families, nor can work commissioned by Orangenius
- For the exhibition winners:
- All works must be ready for display
- 2-D works may be no larger than eight feet in height and six feet in length.
- 3-D works may be no larger than 7 feet tall and four feet in length and width.
- You will also be required to upload up to five works to Orangenius for the judges to review.
- Images uploaded to Orangenius should be at least 800px high. Uploads larger than 965px high or 2500px wide will be downsized.
- Formats must be JPG, PNG, GIF, or BMP.
Submissions for this open call require the following steps:
- Register for a FREE Orangenius account.
- You will be asked to provide your email address and location to sign into Orangenius, or you can use the Facebook login.
- Once you have registered, you should immediately receive an email with a confirmation link. Please check your junk folder if the email does not arrive.
- Clicking the link in the email will take you back to Orangenius where you can log in.
- Orangenius does not have access to your personal password. If you should forget it, please click the “reset password” function on the sign in page which will generate a “Reset Password” email and new password.
- Please provide the following for each submission:
- Your artist statement (located in your Orangenius Bio).
- Upload up to five works for consideration per application along with a title, short description, and category for each work on Orangenius.
- Artwork can be uploaded by clicking the “Add Artwork” button in your Orangenius Artwork Area
- Click the artwork’s thumbnail to enter the artwork’s edit screen from which you can add the title description and category.
- You may add any additional details, such as materials and tools, keywords for easier searching, or the location of the work. However, these details are not required for submission.
- If you would like to add a video, or alternate images of your work, such as an uncropped view or other perspectives, you can add them from your artwork’s edit screen. (Pro Feature Only)
- Don’t forget to click save on each entry step on the Orangenius platform.
- Create a portfolio including the five works. (CAn be done from your artwork area).
- Prove a title and short description for your portfolio
- In the keyword field, include “Artists to Watch” along with any other keywords that may describe the works in your portfolio.
- When your submission is ready for review, submit the Orangenius link to your work using the Artists to Watch Submission Form.
- You will need to include the URL from your Orangeniius portfolio.
- You will receive a confirmation email letting you know that we have received your entry, along with a coupon code for an Orangenius Pro account, free for six months.
- Pro Membership gives you priority status that gives you and your work priority on the Orangenius Marketplace and when searching for artwork. Other features of Pro include custom URLs for your Bio, Portfolios and any artwork, alternate images to an artwork’s detail page, the addition of Vimeo, YouTube or Instagram videos to any bio, portfolio or individual artwork page, unlimited portfolios, and more.
- If you want to use any of these Pro features, you may wish to wait until you receive your free Pro coupon code before submitting your work.
- You will need to include the URL from your Orangeniius portfolio.
An independent jury will review the submissions to ensure that the rules have been followed. We will endeavor to contact those applicants with deficient submissions, however, the responsibility for proper submission lies with the submitting artist.
- The judging criteria for finalist works are:
- Excellent technical skills
- Strong use of creative ideas
- A compelling narrative of the artist and their work in the Orangenius artist statement.
- Orangenius reserves the right not to present an award if the submissions are deemed to be of poor quality.
- All finalists and prize winners will be notified by email or phone.
The Grand Prize winners will be included in an Awards Announcement, which will appear on Artrepreneur, as well as on Orangenius social media and newsletter platforms.
- It is a condition of entering the competition that Orangenius is granted a license to reproduce selected work in the awards publication and any other print or digital material for the purposes of promoting the open call and Garment District banner exhibition, now and in future competitions.
- 24 artists will be selected (no more than 3 selected from any institution) to present one of their works in the Artists to Watch Exhibition at EFA Blackburn 20|20 in September 2018.
- Select students from each institution will be interviewed about their work and practice to be featured in an article on Artrepreneur.
- Additionally, three artists will be selected for cash prizes:
- 1st Prize: $750.
- 2nd Prize: $500.
- 3rd Prize: $250.
- Call for Entries deadline: August 1, 2018
- Winners Announced: August 22, 2018
- Artists to Watch Exhibition: September 2018
WARRANTY AND INDEMNIFICATION
THE APPLICANT WARRANTS (GUARANTEES) THAT THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUBMIT WORK, THAT THE IMAGE IS ORIGINAL AND DOES NOT INFRINGE THE RIGHTS OF ANY OTHER PARTY. THE CONTESTANT WILL INDEMNIFY AND KEEP ORANGENIUS, INC. INDEMNIFIED AGAINST ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, ACTIONS, SUITS, PROCEEDINGS, LOSSES AND COSTS (INCLUDING ANY LEGAL COSTS OR REASONABLE EXPENSES PROPERLY INCURRED AND ANY COMPENSATION, COSTS AND DISBURSEMENTS PAID BY THE AOI ON THE ADVICE OF THE AOI’S LEGAL ADVISERS TO COMPROMISE OR SETTLE ANY CLAIM) ARISING FROM OR AS A CONSEQUENCE OF ANY BREACH OR ALLEGED BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY.
- Applicants agree that their submissions may be used by Orangenius, without reservation or limitation, for the promotion of this competition and future related competitions including but not limited to press coverage, postcards, posters, ads, Orangenius or any of its partners social media, website, and e-newsletters etc. and thus grants Orangenius a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license to reproduce and distribute the entries.
- Orangenius will endeavor to use these entries in a manner consistent with the goals of this competition and will endeavor, when possible to make the rights holder aware of its use.
- Orangenius is not responsible for lost, late, stolen, incomplete, illegible, inaccurate, undelivered, delayed, or misdirected entries.” and reserve the right, without discretion, to modify or terminate this contest in the event of any act, occurrence, or reason that it believes would corrupt the integrity, administration, or fairness of the contest.
If you have any questions about the competition, please contact:
79 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10016
E-Mail: [email protected]
If you have questions regarding the application process or using the Orangenius platform, please contact [email protected].