An Open Call for Art Students in NYC
Artrepreneur is hosting an open call for New York City art students to feature them and their work in our Artists to Watch column. Our goal is to find and shine a light on the next generation of emerging artists.
Select students from each institution will be interviewed about their work and practice, featured in an article on Artrepreneur, and come together for an Artists to Watch Exhibition at EFA Blackburn 20|20 in September 2018. Of the 24 finalists, there will be one first prize winner of $750, a second prize winner of $500 and a third prize winner of $250.
This contest is open to creative artists – from fashion and welding to printmaking and mixed media.
- Must be enrolled or have graduated within the last year from a studio or visual arts certificate, undergraduate or master’s program located within the five boroughs .
- Orangenius will award up to three students per institution.
- 2-D works may be no larger than eight feet in height and six feet in length.
- 3-D works may be no larger than 7 feet tall and four feet in length and width.
- Open to student artists of any media.
- No entry fee
We want to see not only your work, but also the story of who you are, and why you do what you do. Please read the Artists to Watch Rules for details on submission requirements, such as sizes and formats, and to minimize any issues with your submission.
The Artists to Watch Open Call uses the Orangenius platform for submissions so we can provide all applicants with tools and resources that can help you plan for success beyond this Open Call. Both the Open Call and Orangenius are free to join.
Just follow these Steps for submission.
- To apply, register for a FREE Orangenius account. Already an Orangenius member? Login Here. On Orangenius, please provide:
- An Artist Statement (Located in your Bio).
- Create a portfolio of no more than five works for consideration.
- Add a title, short description, and category to each work and a title and short description to your portfolio.
- When your submission is ready for review, submit the Orangenius link to your portfolio using Artists to Watch Submission Form below.
- You must use the same email used to join Orangenius.
- Applicants may only apply once.
- You can submit your work at any time and can make any changes to your submissions at any time before the entry deadline.
Artists will be judged on the totality of their submissions; from their artistic capability to the way they present both themselves and their work to the public. Please take the time to craft your artist statement and artwork descriptions. While we urge you to fill submit a detailed Bio, you will only be judged on the artist statement and not any additional creative highlights you may add.
Emerging sculptor Jiannan Wu talks to Artrepreneur about growing up in China, how his childhood influences his practice, and why he moved to New York.
Figurative painter Amy Hughes on studying in Liverpool, moving to New York, and balancing teaching with art-making and exhibitions.
DATES AND DEADLINES
All submissions are due by August 1st, 2018. Winners will be announced on August 22nd, 2018.
Every applicant will have the opportunity to sell their artwork through the Orangenius Marketplace at only a fraction of the cost of other online art marketplaces. You can add any work to the Orangenius Marketplace by clicking the “Sell This Artwork” button on the artwork’s detail page. For more information on selling artwork on Orangenius and opening your payment account, go to our Artwork Sellers page.
Orangenius is a platform created for artists, by artists. It was designed to put control back into artists’ hands. An online platform and collaborative community for creatives, Orangenius users can show and share their work with online portfolios and ‘visual’ resumes, give and get credit for collaborative projects, find and apply to art world jobs, open calls, creative gigs, and more.