ART ELEVATED OPEN CALL RULES
This open call is being presented by the Garment District Alliance (“GDA”) and Orangenius (“Orangenius”). Please read these rules carefully before submitting work (“Submission”) to the Open Call. These guidelines will assist you in completing both Art Elevated Submission forms 1 and 2. You will be asked to agree to the Terms and Conditions before you submit an entry. By making a payment for your entry, you have accepted these Terms and Conditions.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICANT STATUS
- The open call is open to any type of visual artist, working in any medium, context or geographical location.
- The submission must be from a living artist.
- Only an individual artist can enter.
- All Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Entries cannot be submitted by Orangenius or GDA affiliated entities, agents, officers, directors, owners, employees, or their immediate families, nor can work commissioned by Orangenius or GDA be submitted.
- If a work is created by more than one person, the submission must be from a primary creator or copyright holder with permission to submit the work.
- Winning entries will be placed on a banner in the Garment District as shown here.
- To submit your work to the open call, you will be required to upload a full-sized, high resolution, printable version of an image so our judges can be assured that winning entries will meet print quality standards as follows:
- Artwork must be minimum of 150 dpi at 37” wide by 75” high.
- Files should be CMYK.
- Formats must be JPG, TIFF, EPS or PDF.
- The maximum upload file size is 30mb. (We suggest that you use the .jpg format to ensure a reasonable file size. This will not affect the quality of the print on canvas.)
- Illustrator vector files must be AI, EPS or PDF.
- Photographed artwork must be sharp and in-focus.
- We will not be responsible for cropping artwork.
- You will also be required to upload a lower resolution version to Orangenius for the judges to review.
- Images uploaded to Orangenius should be at least 800px high. Uploads larger than 965px high will be downsized.
- Formats must be JPG, PNG, GIF, or BMP.
Please download the Art Elevated Banner Instructions for more details.
Submissions for this open call require the following steps:
- Fill out Art Elevated Submission – Form 1, including your entry fee of $15.
- The entry fee entitles you to one submission, however, you can enter as many times as you would like for an additional entry fee.
- Applicants residing in the Garment District are entitled to one free submission. (If you reside in the Garment District, please contact [email protected].)
- The additional required information for submission (i.e., your artist statement) can be done at any time prior to June 30, 2018, however, we will evaluate your application as soon as your submission information is complete.
- To submit the additional required information, Register for a FREE Orangenius account. (You must use the same email submitted on Art Elevated Submission – Form 1.) On Orangenius, please provide:
- You will be asked to provide your email address and location to sign into Orangenius, or you can use the Facebook login.
- Once you have registered, you should immediately receive an email with a confirmation link. Please check your junk folder if the email does not arrive.
- Clicking the link in the email will take you back to Orangenius where you can log in.
- Orangenius does not have access to your personal password. If you should forget it, please click the “reset password” function on the sign in page which will generate a “Reset Password” email and new password.
- Please provide the following for each submission:
- Your artist statement (located in your Orangenius Bio).
- Upload one work for consideration per application (See Image Guidelines above) along with a title, short description, and category to the entry on Orangenius.
- Artwork can be uploaded by clicking the “Add Artwork” button in your Orangenius Artwork Area
- Click the artwork’s thumbnail to enter the artwork’s edit screen from which you can add the title description and category.
- You may add any additional details, such as materials and tools, keywords for easier searching, or the location of the work. However, these details are not required for submission.
- If you would like to add a video, or alternate images of your work, such as an uncropped view or other perspectives, you can add them from your artwork’s edit screen. (Pro Feature Only)
- Don’t forget to click save on each entry step on the Orangenius platform.
- When your submission is ready for review, submit the Orangenius link to your work using Art Elevated Submission – Form 2.
- You will also need to upload your high-resolution printable image on this form.
- You will receive a confirmation email letting you know that we have received your entry, along with a coupon code for an Orangenius Pro account, free for six months.
- Pro Membership gives you priority status that gives you and your work priority on the Orangenius Marketplace and when searching for artwork. Other features of Pro include custom URLs for your Bio, Portfolios and any artwork, alternate images to an artwork’s detail page, the addition of Vimeo, YouTube or Instagram videos to any bio, portfolio or individual artwork page, unlimited portfolios, and more.
- If you want to use any of these Pro features, you may wish to wait until you receive your free Pro coupon code.
- You will also need to upload your high-resolution printable image on this form.
If you are not ready to join Orangenius or begin the submission process we can send you reminders. Please provide us with your email using the email field located below the submission form on the Art Elevated Open Call Page.
GDA will review the submission to ensure that the rules have been followed. We will endeavor to contact those applicants with deficient submissions, however, the responsibility for proper submission lies with the submitting artist.
- The judging criteria for finalist works are:
- Excellent technical skills
- Strong use of creative ideas
- A compelling narrative of the artist and their work in the Orangenius artist statement.
- GDA reserves the right not to present an award if the submissions are deemed to be of poor quality.
- All finalists and prize winners will be notified by email or phone.
The Grand Prize winners and Finalists will be included in an Awards Announcement, which will appear on Artrepreneur, as well as on Orangenius and GDA social media and newsletter platforms.
- It is a condition of entering the competition that Orangenius is granted a license to reproduce selected work in the awards publication and any other print or digital material for the purposes of promoting the open call and Garment District banner exhibition, now and in future competitions.
- Approximately ninety finalists will receive the following prizes:
- Selected artwork will fly high above the streets of the Garment District in New York City on a large banner with artist and title of the piece prominently displayed.
- The banner will be displayed from September 3 through October 30, 2018.
- One-year free Orangenius Pro Membership (a $108 value).
- “Art Elevated Competition Finalist” badge on their Orangenius profile with a link to their winning artwork.
- Featured placement on the Art Elevated Finalists Page on Orangenius.
- Receive priority placement in Orangenius search (after activation of their free Pro account).
- Note that due to various activities of the New York City Department of Transportation, GDA will not have an exact count of available banners until late August 2018 so the total number of available banners may change. GDA will notify additional winners, if any, as soon as GDA knows the number of available banners.
GRAND PRIZE WINNERS
- The Garment District Alliance will award three grand prize winners cash prizes of $1500, $1000, and $500 dollars, and feature the first prize artist’s work on marketing collateral for the Garment District Arts Festival. Now in its 15th year, the festival includes over 120 participating artists, arts organizations, and events. The festival, which takes place this year on October 18-20, attracts thousands of visitors each year.
- 1st Prize: $1500 cash and work featured on marketing collateral for the Garment District Arts Festival (details below)
- 2nd Prize: $1000 cash
- 3rd Prize: $500 cash
The first prize artist’s work will appear on numerous printed and online marketing collateral for the festival including:
- Posters: Artist’s work will appear on over 500 posters that are printed and distributed throughout the festival area at event venues and at studios of participating artists. Posters placed on Broadway will be seen by an average of 50,000 people per day.
- Festival Program Guides: Artist’s work will appear on the cover of over 1,500 (checking this) program guides that are produced and distributed at all event venues and at studios of participating artists
- Ads: Artist’s work will appear in ads promoting the festival in Art in America and in Time Out New York.
- Postcards: Artist’s work will appear on over 5,000 printed postcards, mailed and distributed at various sites, promoting the festival.
- Garment District Arts Festival website home page: Artist’s work will be featured on the festival homepage, the landing site of all arts festival searches. The Alliance promotes the festival on dozens of arts and events calendars throughout NYC and the region, and all inquiries are directed to the festival homepage.
- Call for Entries deadline: June 30, 2018
- Shortlisting by jury: July 15, 2018
- Notification of Shortlisting: July 25, 2018
- Winners Announced: August 7, 2018
- Banners Displayed: September 3 – October 30, 2018
WARRANTY AND INDEMNIFICATION
THE APPLICANT WARRANTS (GUARANTEES) THAT THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUBMIT WORK, THAT THE IMAGE IS ORIGINAL AND DOES NOT INFRINGE THE RIGHTS OF ANY OTHER PARTY. THE CONTESTANT WILL INDEMNIFY AND KEEP ORANGENIUS, INC. INDEMNIFIED AGAINST ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, ACTIONS, SUITS, PROCEEDINGS, LOSSES AND COSTS (INCLUDING ANY LEGAL COSTS OR REASONABLE EXPENSES PROPERLY INCURRED AND ANY COMPENSATION, COSTS AND DISBURSEMENTS PAID BY THE AOI ON THE ADVICE OF THE AOI’S LEGAL ADVISERS TO COMPROMISE OR SETTLE ANY CLAIM) ARISING FROM OR AS A CONSEQUENCE OF ANY BREACH OR ALLEGED BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY.
- Applicants agree that their submissions may be used by Orangenius or GDA, without reservation or limitation for the promotion of this competition and future related competitions including but not limited to press coverage, postcards, posters, ads, Orangenius or any of its partners social media, website, and e-newsletters etc. and thus grants Orangenius a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license to reproduce and distribute the entries.
- GDA and Orangenius will endeavor to use these entries in a manner consistent with the goals of this competition and will endeavor, when possible to make the rights holder aware of its use.
- No refunds will be given for deficient submissions, such as uploads that don’t conform to specifications outlined in these rules (i.e. poor printing quality, wrong resolution or improper sizing. Please read the submission instructions carefully before applying.
- GDA and Orangenius are not responsible for lost, late, stolen, incomplete, illegible, inaccurate, undelivered, delayed, or misdirected entries.” and reserve the right, without discretion, to modify or terminate this contest in the event of any act, occurrence, or reason that it believes would corrupt the integrity, administration, or fairness of the contest.
If you have any questions about the competition, please contact:
Garment District Alliance
209 West 38th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10018
E-Mail: [email protected]
If you have questions regarding the application process or using the Orangenius platform, please contact [email protected].