The Up Close Competition (“Competition) is being presented by Orangenius. Please read these Competition Rules (“Rules) carefully before submitting work (“Submission”). These Rules will assist you in completing your entry. Adding the keyword UpCloseOG to your portfolios, as further discussed below in the section, “Submission Steps” will act as an agreement by the applicant to these Rules.
- ONE PORTFOLIO IS CONSIDERED AS ONE ENTRY SUBMISSION.
- FOR EACH PORTFOLIO, A MINIMUM OF THREE AND A MAXIMUM OF FIVE ARTWORKS IS REQUIRED
- HERE ARE THE FIVE CATEGORIES:
- Painting / Illustration
- Mixed Media / Printmaking
- Graphic Design
- Sculpture / Crafts
- ALL THE WORKS IN A PORTFOLIO PER ENTRY SUBMISSION MUST BE FROM ONE CATEGORY. (For example, an oil painting and a drawing may be entered together but a Photo and a sculpture may not.)
- APPLICANTS MAY ENTER ONCE PER CATEGORY BUT ARE WELCOME TO ENTER IN MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY
- NO APPLICANT WILL BE CHOSEN AS A GRAND PRIZE WINNER OR FINALIST IN MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY
- SEE THE SUBMISSION STEPS SECTION FOR DETAILS ON APPLICATION PROCESS
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICANT STATUS
- The Competition is open to any type of visual artist, working in any medium, context or geographical location.
- The Submissions must be by an individual, living artist.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Entries cannot be submitted by Orangenius employees, affiliated entities, agents, officers, directors, owners, employees, or their immediate families, nor can work commissioned by Orangenius be submitted
- If a work is created by more than one person, the submission must be from a primary creator or copyright holder with permission to submit the work.
- No entry fee is required.
- You will be required to upload tthree to
fiveeworks to Orangenius for the judges to review.
- Images uploaded to Orangenius should be at least 800px high. Uploads larger than 965px high or 2500px wide will be downsized.
- Formats must be JPG, PNG, GIF, or BMP.
- All works must be ready for display. Substitutions will be considered on an ad hoc basis. Orangenius does not guarantee substitutions.
- 2-D works may be no larger than eight feet in height and six feet in length.
- 3-D works may be no larger than 7 feet tall and four feet in length and width.
- Register for a FREE Orangenius account.
- You will be asked to provide your email address and location to sign into Orangenius, or you can use the Facebook login.
- Once you have registered, you should immediately receive an email with a confirmation link. Please check your junk folder if the email does not arrive.
- Clicking the link in the email will take you back to Orangenius where you can log in.
- Orangenius does not have access to your personal password. If you should forget it, please click the “reset password” function on the sign in page which will generate a “Reset Password” email and new password.
- Please provide the following for each submission:
- A brief artist statement (located in your Orangenius Bio).
- Upload a minimum of three and a maximum of five works for consideration in any category.
- Artwork can be uploaded by clicking the “Add Artwork” button in your Orangenius Artwork Area
- Click the artwork’s thumbnail to enter the artwork’s edit screen from which you can add the title description and category.
- You may add any additional details, such as materials and tools, keywords for easier searching, or the location of the work. However, these details are not required for submission.
- If you would like to add a video, or alternate images of your work, such as an uncropped view or other perspectives, you can add them from your artwork’s edit screen. (Pro Feature Only)
- Compile the three to five works into a Portfolio. (You may submit only one Portfolio per category)
- Prove a title, short description and In the keyword field, include UpCloseOG.
- IMPORTANT: The keyword is how the Orangenius team will receive your submission. Without the keyword, we will not know it is an Up Close entry.
- Don’t forget to click save on each entry step on the Orangenius platform.
You will not receive a confirmation for your entry. If you have added the UpCloseOG keyword to your portfolio, then you have entered the competition.
- After the submission deadline, you will receive a coupon code for an Orangenius Pro account, free for three months.
- Pro Membership gives you a host of additional features, including priority on the Orangenius Marketplace and when searching for artwork. Other features of Pro include custom URLs for your Bio, Portfolios and any artwork, alternate images to an artwork’s detail page, the addition of Vimeo, YouTube or Instagram videos to any Bio, Portfolio or individual Artwork page, up to 1000 artworks, unlimited portfolios, and more.
An independent jury will review the submissions to ensure that the rules have been followed. We will endeavor to contact those applicants with deficient submissions, however, the responsibility for proper submission lies with the submitting artist.
- The judging criteria for finalist works are:
- Excellent technical skills
- Strong use of creative ideas
- A compelling narrative of the artist and their work in the Orangenius artist statement.
- Orangenius reserves the right not to present an award if the submissions are deemed to be of poor quality.
- All finalists and prize winners will be notified by email or phone.
- Three artists will be selected from each category and will receive:
- Cash prizes as follows:
- Grand Prize: $750.
- 2nd Prize: $500.
- 3rd Prize: $250.
- Priority placement in Orangenius search (after activation of their free Pro account).
- Cash prizes as follows:
- Additionally, one Grand Prize Winner from each category will be part of Up Close, a four-day pop-up gallery to be held in New York City in late 2018. Additionally, Grand Prize Winners will receive an:
- “Up Close Competition Winners Badge” on their Orangenius profile with a link to their winning artworks.
- Featured placement on the Orangenius Competition Page.
- Orangenius will provide up to $XXX for shipping of works to the gallery location. A shipping receipt will be required for reimbursement.
- Any other needs, such as framing, will be handled on an ad hoc basis at Orangenius’ discretion.
- Grand Prize Winners and Finalists will be announced on Instagram, along with any contest updates, so please follow us to receive these notifications.
- The Grand Prize winners will be included in an Awards Announcement, which will appear on Artrepreneur, as well as on Orangenius social media and newsletter platforms.
- It is a condition of entering the competition that Orangenius is granted a license to reproduce selected work in the awards publication and any other print or digital material for the purposes of promoting the open call and Garment District banner exhibition, now and in future competitions.
- Deadline for entries is August 15, 2018
- Location and date of the Up Close pop-up will be announced in mid-July 2018.
- Winners will be announced by September 7, 2018.
- Details and logistics of the gallery show and prize money distribution to be communicated to winners by September 25, 2018.
WARRANTY AND INDEMNIFICATION
THE APPLICANT WARRANTS (GUARANTEES) THAT THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUBMIT WORK, THAT THE IMAGE IS ORIGINAL AND DOES NOT INFRINGE THE RIGHTS OF ANY OTHER PARTY. THE CONTESTANT WILL INDEMNIFY AND KEEP ORANGENIUS, INC. INDEMNIFIED AGAINST ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, ACTIONS, SUITS, PROCEEDINGS, LOSSES AND COSTS (INCLUDING ANY LEGAL COSTS OR REASONABLE EXPENSES PROPERLY INCURRED AND ANY COMPENSATION, COSTS AND DISBURSEMENTS PAID BY THE AOI ON THE ADVICE OF THE AOI’S LEGAL ADVISERS TO COMPROMISE OR SETTLE ANY CLAIM) ARISING FROM OR AS A CONSEQUENCE OF ANY BREACH OR ALLEGED BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY.
- Applicants agree that their Submission may be used by Orangenius, without reservation or limitation, for the promotion of this competition and future related competitions including but not limited to press coverage, postcards, posters, ads, Orangenius or any of its partners social media, website, and e-newsletters etc. and thus grants Orangenius a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license to reproduce and distribute the entries for that purpose.
- Orangenius will endeavor to use these entries in a manner consistent with the goals of this competition and will, when possible to make the rights holder aware of its use.
- Orangenius is not responsible for lost, late, stolen, incomplete, illegible, inaccurate, undelivered, delayed, or misdirected entries.” and reserve the right, without discretion, to modify or terminate this contest in the event of any act, occurrence, or reason that it believes would corrupt the integrity, administration, or fairness of the contest.
If you have any questions about the competition, please contact:
79 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10016
E-Mail: [email protected]
If you have questions regarding the application process or using the Orangenius platform, please contact [email protected].